Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy curriculum for surgical residents

Susan J. Hoover, Michael P. Berry, Lesa Rossick, Robert V Rege, Daniel B. Jones

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

12 Scopus citations


Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy has emerged as a common method for lesion diagnosis. This study sought to instruct and measure surgical residents' performance in ultrasound-guided breast biopsy and evaluate their thoughts regarding it. Thirteen (n = 13) senior residents completed a written pretest or questionnaire and 2.5 hours of simulated breast core and vacuum needle biopsies. Residents then completed the same written exam, and their biopsy performance was rated. There was 13% overall improvement of written test scores, and 73% resident improved comfort levels with performing biopsies. Successfully performed core biopsies and vacuum biopsies were 86% and 83%, respectively. All residents reported that instruction in ultrasound-guided breast biopsy is very important and should be mandatory in residency training programs. With concentrated instruction, residents are able to learn ultrasound-guided breast biopsy with improvement in objective measures and self-confidence levels. Resident feedback was positive and emphasized the importance of this training in surgical residency curriculums.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)52-58
Number of pages7
JournalSurgical Innovation
Issue number1
StatePublished - Mar 2008


  • Breast ultrasound guided biopsy
  • Surgical education
  • Surgical resident curriculum

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery


Dive into the research topics of 'Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy curriculum for surgical residents'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this