Phase II trial of weekly paclitaxel and concurrent radiation therapy for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer

Hak Choy, Howard Safran, Wallace Akerley, Stephen L. Graziano, Jeffrey A. Bogart, Bernard F. Cole

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

87 Scopus citations


We conducted a prospective Phase II study to determine the response rate, toxicity, and 2-year survival rate of concurrent weekly paclitaxel and radiation therapy (RT) for locally advanced unresectable non-small cell lung cancer. The weekly paclitaxel regimen was designed to optimize the radiosensitizing properties of paclitaxel. Thirty-three patients with unresectable stage IIIA and IIIB non-small cell lung cancer from six institutions were entered into the study between March 1994 and February 1995. Weekly i.v. paclitaxel (60 mg/m2; 3-h infusion) plus concurrent chest RT (60 Gy over 6 weeks) was delivered for 6 weeks. Twenty-nine patients were evaluable for response. Three patients achieved a complete response (10%), and 22 patients (76%) achieved a partial response, for an overall response rate of 86% (95% confidence interval, 68-96%). One patient progressed during the therapy, and three patients had stable disease. Esophagitis was the principal toxicity. Grade 3 or 4 esophagitis occurred in 11 patients (37%). One patient died of pneumonia after completion of therapy. Additional grade ≤3 toxicities included pneumonitis (12%) and neutropenia (6%). One patient had a grade 3 hypersensitivity reaction. The median overall survival duration for all 33 patients who entered the study was 20 months, and 1-, 2-, and 3- year overall survival rates were 60.6%, 33.3%, and 18.2%, respectively. The median progression-free survival duration for all 33 patients was 10.7 months, and 1-, 2-, and 3-year progression-free survival rates were 39.4%, 12.1%, and 6.1%, respectively. Weekly paclitaxel plus concurrent RT is a well-tolerated outpatient regimen. The survival outcome from this regimen is encouraging and seems to be at least equivalent to that of other chemotherapy/radiation trials. These findings warrant further clinical evaluation of weekly paclitaxel/RT in Phase II trials in the neoadjuvant setting and in combination with other cytotoxic agents.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1931-1936
Number of pages6
JournalClinical Cancer Research
Issue number8
StatePublished - Aug 1 1998

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research


Dive into the research topics of 'Phase II trial of weekly paclitaxel and concurrent radiation therapy for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this