Differential expression of melanocytic markers in myoid, lipomatous, and vascular components of renal angiomyolipomas

Andres A. Roma, Cristina Magi-Galluzzi, Ming Zhou

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

29 Scopus citations


Context. - Renal angiomyolipoma is a tumor composed of varying amounts of fat, smooth muscle, and blood vessels. Characteristically, tumor cells express melanocytic markers such as HMB-45 and Melan-A. Recently, several other markers have been described as having excellent diagnostic sensitivity in cutaneous melanocytic lesions. Objectives. - To compare the sensitivities of 5 melanocytic markers in renal angiomyolipoma and to study the expression patterns of these markers in the 3 different components of angiomyolipoma. Design. - A tissue microarray of 20 renal angiomyolipomas was constructed. For each case, 3 cores containing fat, blood vessels, and smooth muscle were taken. The tissue microarray was then stained for HMB-45, Melan-A, tyrosinase, NK1-C3, and CD117. Results. - HMB-45 was positive in 95%, Melan-A in 85%, NK1-C3 in 70%, tyrosinase in 50%, and CD117 in 40% of the cases. All (20/20) were positive for HMB-45 and Melan-A combined. These 5 markers had different sensitivities in the 3 components. HMB-45 was positive in 90%, 85%, and 80% of fat, smooth muscle, and blood vessel components, respectively; Melan-A in 70%, 60%, and 40%; NK1-C3 in 55%, 55%, and 45%; tyrosinase in 30%, 40%, and 10%; and CD117 in 20%, 40%, and 10%, respectively, of these 3 components. Conclusions. - HMB-45 and Melan-A combined were positive in 100% of the renal angiomyolipomas. We recommend the use of these 2 markers in the workup of this entity, including those with predominancy 1 component. Other melanocytic markers are of limited use. A tissue block comprising predominantly fat or smooth muscle components should be used when performing melanocytic marker immunostain.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)122-125
Number of pages4
JournalArchives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 1 2007

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Medical Laboratory Technology


Dive into the research topics of 'Differential expression of melanocytic markers in myoid, lipomatous, and vascular components of renal angiomyolipomas'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this