Case report of metallic mercury injury

Sharon R. Smith, David M. Jaffe, Michael A. Skinner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

29 Scopus citations


Objective: Injury and poisoning from metallic mercury has become a rare event. Review of the literature and a rase report of pediatric metallic mercury injury are presented. Design: A case report. Setting: The Emergency Department at St. Louis Children's Hospital. Patients or participants: A 15- year-old boy. Interventions: None.Main outcome measures: None. Results: The 15-year-old boy fell on a broken mercury thermometer. A subcutaneous abscess formed on his left forearm during the next five days. He had no signs or symptoms of mercury toxicity. His wound was debrided in the operating room and healed completely after several months. Conclusions: This case shows elemental mercury from a thermometer as a potential, if unusual, source of mercury toxicity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)114-116
Number of pages3
JournalPediatric Emergency Care
Issue number2
StatePublished - Apr 1997


  • Metallic mercury
  • mercury toxicity

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Emergency Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Case report of metallic mercury injury'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this