Accidental ingestion of sustained release calcium channel blockers in children

Anne F. Brayer, Paul Wax

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Scopus citations


We examined the effects of small ingestions of sustained release calcium channel blockers (SR-CCBs) in young children and characterized current recommendations regarding monitoring after a suspected ingestion. A 2-part study was performed of pediatric calcium channel blocker (CCB) ingestion: first a telephone survey of 33 randomly selected Poison Control Centers (PCCs) from around the US concerning their recommended management of a small ingestion of sustained release calcium channel blocker in a child, and then a 5-y retrospective review of local cases of CCB ingestions in children under 4 y-of-age. The number of hours of medical observation recommended by the PCCs varied from ≤24 h (n=15, 45%) to <6 h (n=6, 18%). The retrospective chart review revealed that 19 of 29 local cases involved a SR-CCB, and 6 of these were thought to have ingested only 1 tablet. Observation time varied from >24 h to < 6 h in the 17 cases seen in an emergency department. No symptoms or vital sign abnormalities were reported in any case. Recommendations regarding duration of observation varied from <6 h to 24 h. Ingestion of a few SR-CCB tablets was not associated with symptoms, suggesting that admission and 24-h monitoring may not be necessary under those circumstances.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)104-106
Number of pages3
JournalVeterinary and Human Toxicology
Issue number2
StatePublished - Apr 14 1998

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • veterinary(all)
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis


Dive into the research topics of 'Accidental ingestion of sustained release calcium channel blockers in children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this