Up-regulation of TGM2 with ITGB1 and SDC4 is important in the development and metastasis of renal cell carcinoma

Merve Erdem, Selcuk Erdem, Oner Sanli, Halis Sak, Isin Kilicaslan, Fikrettin Sahin, Dilek Telci

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

29 Scopus citations


Objective: Tissue transglutaminase (TGM2) up-regulation is involved in the progression and dissemination of carcinomas through β1 integrin (ITGB1) association. Given that TGM2 interaction with syndecan-4 (SDC4) on the cell surface is important in the activation of ITGB1 and integrin-mediated survival signaling, we investigated the roles of TGM2, ITGB1, and SDC4 in the development and metastasis of renal cell carcinoma (RCC). Material and methods: Expression levels of TGM2, ITGB1, and SDC4 mRNA were analyzed in primary tumor samples (n = 95) and their healthy counterparts in addition to control and RCC epithelial cell lines. TGM2 catalytic activity in 60 randomly selected patient samples was measured by enzyme-linked sorbent plate assay. Results: TGM2 expression ratio showed a significant 2.9-fold decrease in 67 (70.5%) of the primary RCC tumors (P <0.0001) independent of clinical covariates, including tumor node metastasis (TNM) staging and histopathologic grading. For the remaining 28 (29.5%) tumors, a 1.95-fold increase was recorded in the TGM2 expression levels, which also showed a significant increase in ITGB1 and SDC4 expression levels in 82.6% of the overexpression cases (P <0.001). Up-regulation of TGM2 along with ITGB1 and SCD4 was associated with metastasis and a marked decrease in tumor necrosis. Consistently, RCC cell lines exhibited higher levels of TGM2 expression compared with the control epithelial cell line with a significant up-regulation of ITGB1 and SCD4 recorded for the metastatic lines. Conclusions: Our findings suggest that TGM2 up-regulation along with ITGB1 and SDC4 plays an important role in the development of RCC tumors and advanced RCC with metastasis.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)25.e13-25.e20
JournalUrologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2014


  • Integrin β1
  • Metastasis
  • Renal cell carcinoma
  • Syndecan-4
  • Tissue transglutaminase

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Urology


Dive into the research topics of 'Up-regulation of TGM2 with ITGB1 and SDC4 is important in the development and metastasis of renal cell carcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this